Saturday, March 3, 2012

The "re-visit"

I had a long-term girlfriend during my first attempt at college.  We were together well over a year when...well...it seemed to me it'd run its course and it was time to move on.  We truly had a blast together, enjoyed amazing chemistry, but something just didn't fit so far as "forever" kinda thoughts, yanno?  Did I mention the amazing chemistry?!!??!?

Five or so years later, we were living 250 miles away from each other, but due to a work engagement (and that fact we both found ourselves single...well, single enough), I ended up staying at her place for a night.  And wow, what a night it was - intense, familiar-yet-brand-new, electric, and...well, I'll say it again:  amazing!  One of those connections that had me thinking "oh my GAWD, how or why did I let her go?  What the hell was I thinking???  When can we do this again??!!??"

We pretty quickly coordinated the next rendezvous, still a-buzz from the first, I think both of us wondering "could we make 'us' work again....?"  This 2nd "re-visit" escapade, though, just...wasn't that good, frankly.  I mean, it was pleasant, it was comfortable, it did the basic "trick", but the passion, the goosebumps, the pure thrill of the initial re-acquaintance just wasn't there.  I think we parted ways both thinking it was still way better than doing it alone, but I doubt "I can't wait to do that again!" was on either of our minds.

Encounter #3 came along I'm pretty sure out of mutual boredom, no real enthusiasm, but purely, "eh, what/who the hell else have I got to do...?"  And that is pretty much exactly how it went.  We mighta still jumped in the sack, but only cuz we'd gut-bombed ourselves at the buffet and it was time to sleep!  That planned weekender quickly got cut down to a single evening-through-morning "date".  The disappointment was obvious - no anger, no blame, no fault, just plain ol', "damn...that was hardly worth the trip."

Why do I share this wonderful, deep, emotionally mature story to the whole flippin' world? (OK, that "whole flippin' world" bit is a mild over-statement, but you get my drift)  Simply because it near-brilliantly illustrates my recently failed relationship with a love of the internal combustion persuasion.  Life changes of the past few years (foster care, adoption, dusting off a couplefew bicycles) had me experiencing that same "it'd run its course and it was time to move on" feeling. 

Then came Dr's okay to re-mount the dirt bike and that first ride was, well, intense, familiar-yet-brand-new, electric, and amazing. I was BACK, I was fit, I was fast, I was billy-bad-ass!  Let's do that again!!!  Until the second ride, where, it was still better than sitting on the couch, but wasn't near the thrilling, fist-pumpin', rock-and-rollin' groove of the first.  Finally, based on a very similar "I got a kitchen pass and there is a race today...might as well go" rationale as the third ex-companion engagement, I loaded up the gas-burning 2-wheeler and headed out...only to also get that same "damn...that was hardly worth the trip" result.


So, the above picture is from Thursday's garage clean-out/sell-out to a good friend willing to take it all for a price we both felt was a good deal.  All this may just be further proof that I'm a slow learner that has to live everything twice, but there's also a more interesting (or at least entertaining) commonality:  my romance with dirt bikes was at its best between my first and second era of pedal-power.  That ex-girlfriend "re-visit" was between my first and second marriage to the same woman.  Purely coincidence....right...???

I'll always consider some "what if's" about the KTM, dirt biking, and off-road motorcycle racing, but hopefully I will now always know it just ain't meant to be.  My memories of it all will be rather fond, no doubt, but much like that girlfriend it is a passion that simply could not be recreated.

2 comments:

  1. I've done this also, well not the girl friend deal, but the moto deal. Rode moto for 41 years and just got tired of losing places to ride and working on stuff all the time. You would have really gotten into it when those boys started wanting to go.

    Cycling is so much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am being compared to a dirt bike? That’s the best ever!

    ReplyDelete