Saturday, January 21, 2012

Now what? No simple answer...

The "buzz" of my first, totally successful and satisfying Tour de Felasco is slowly fading, but I'm now battling all kinds of new demons.  How do I follow that up?  What does/did/should this undertaking tell me might also be possible?  That ride has been my focus/encouragement to get hours on bike for a while now, and with it behind me I can't help but search for a new...target.

Without sounding like I'm just here to stroke my ego in a public way, what these past 18 months have resulted in is something pretty damn foreign to me - I'm actually fit!  To borrow a line from a fad-nastic, "just 20 minutes a day!" commercial: "I'm 41, and in the best shape of my life!"  Weird, but true...and I've received no compensation for saying it...dammit.

Anyway, the best part of completing the full 100km of Felasco is that I didn't spend much time, if any, worrying about being dropped or unable to finish.  I spent my day enjoying the company, surroundings and knowing I was finally one of the "fit ones".  I felt good, managed my efforts and rode with confidence that my legs and lungs were where they needed to be.  They most definitely were...for that RIDE, at my own pace, with no real pressure to go faster or farther.

As many/most/all know, though, mountain biking is one of "only" six 2-wheeled disciplines I enjoy.  I've juggled all six pretty well over the past year or so, but frankly, I'm feeling more like "jack of all trades, master of none" than ever.  So?  What am I to do for 2012?  I'm still a father of two, a husband, an employee, and a "friend of Bill's" - those things continue to require the same amount of effort and time as they always have, sometimes more.  Can I continue to improve my fitness, skill, abilities on all fronts?  Or is it time to thin the heard and focus on just one?  Oh, that last bit sounds...sad, just typing it...

I won't lie, this week's buzz has me already contemplating The Silver Rush 50 mile mountain bike race this summer in Leadville, CO.  A similar test as 62 miles in Florida I suppose, but a whole different animal.  It'll require more true training, not only more "just riding along".  Realistic?  I haven't actually taken part in a bicycle race since...10 years and 60 pounds ago.  Not the best memories to reflect upon.  Surely this would be different, but I have to consider the difference between "ride" and "race".  Do I have the mind toughness to go with these new-and-improved (albeit older) legs & lungs??

On another front, it's just over a month from the kick-off of the 2012 off-road motorcycle racing season.  I've had mixed luck there, granted - from life flight to a win, to 6th place season standing in 2009.  I have to believe that my higher level of fitness can only have a positive impact on 2-hour harescrambles...but then again...I haven't been on that damn KTM in four months. I'm a bit obsessed with pedal-power, lately, but what if this pre-mixed fire re-lights?

Then comes BMX season that I'm rather excited about taking part in with my younger son, Thomas (who is freakin' gifted on 2 wheels...l'il turd!), but his interest varies depending on the day.  What about a road century?  Or at least rides similar to the MS 72 miler I stumbled onto and loved, last May?  Trials comps and demo opportunities will also come with the arrival of the Midwestern Spring - where's the time for that practice, setup, coordination?

All of that babble to say...is 2012 the year of the bike?  Bike racing?  Endurance-type stuff?  On road or off?  Or both???  Put in a solid, season-long effort  and go for moto success before I get too much older?  Or once again dabble in all the above with the realistic hope of just enjoying them all regardless of any competitive results?  Then gotta factor in what works best for the whole family unit - time, money, risk...?  I'm pushing the limits of at least two of those factors at any one time...how far is too far?

For now, I'm gonna do my best to simply be grateful for such a dilemma.  It's a pretty fantastic combination of life and life events that have me in a place where the above questions and concerns are the most stressful part of my life...ain't it?

Ride on...whatever it is you ride...

2 comments:

  1. Will your boys ride moto someday? I found it difficult to do other hobbies and maintain 2 dirt bikes. Not to mention the time it took to load, haul, and ride them. The cycling deal is so much less work and so much more ride time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, boy, that is a good question, sir. As unfair as it might be, I don't really want 'em to. Part "I didn't ride a motorcycle until I was 30 years old, so, you can wait, too", part that I know first-hand just how easy it is to get REAL hurt, and I'm not (yet?) willing to take that risk with them. Time will tell - I'll cave in or I'll liquidate the dirt bike life...

      Delete