Saturday, February 4, 2012

Going all directions

Watch out for this reckless sum-bitch...my thoughts and feelings covered the spectrum this week...

From the twisted satisfaction of two nights of 85-90% MHR extended efforts to the "jeeezuz I wish I'd just crap myself to get past this gut-ache".  From 65 sunny friggin' degrees the 1st of February to 38 & rain-to-slush-to-snow forecast tonight.  From work feeling like more a pain in my ass than they bought from me to the guilt of taking two days off sick.  From loving my PT Dr(s) and what they've done for me to "OK, enough already - we done here?!?! Am I 'fixed' yet?!!?"  From enjoying the diversity my kids represent to never wanting them to socialize again...at Burger King. 

I think the last illustrates it best.  Now...I'm somewhat a tough Dad and we run a pretty strict household complete with "Family Policies", schedules, rewards, consequences - the whole gig.  (Stop chuckling...I know, hard to believe, but true).  My Saturday tradition is to take Benjamin & Thomas to either McDonald's or Burger King for lunch & fun...and usually an injury or tantrum.  We live in an area where the make up of either establishment's play area is diverse, interesting, hell sometimes flat Jerry Springer-amusing - that's part of the attraction - let 'em rub elbows, smell farts, push, chase, sneeze on and fight kids of all racial, social & economic backgrounds.

For some reason today, though, albeit still stinging from the "hangover" this week seemed to leave on me, I was twitching to get my kids out of that place!  Dirty tables, weird kids, fugly parents - it musta been some kind of Reject Retreat going on.  But then it kinda hit me - where did I get the idea that I wasn't right where I belonged...?  What made them the rejects...? I'm just a pretty-good-paid specimen of white trash, myself...with two different colored kids...living as a recovering drunk...with a giant pinch of dip in my lip...you feel me?

Seems the theme, or the lesson, of this week is/was = perspective.  I've been suffering most from a mild case of...Tony.  Lost every bit of track of what I can (and should) control, what I can't, and/or telling the effing difference.  All said and done, it wasn't such a bad week, but I damn near missed it simply because it wasn't going at all how I had planned.  I got in three rides, was productive at work which then afforded two days of (some of the best, un-interrupted) sleep to recover from un-diagnosed, wicked nausea, and a chill day of enjoying being Dad. 

Good thing the learnin' don't stop...


No comments:

Post a Comment